Moe and Margarert

Fitzroy Garden Ceremony and location photos around Melbourne

Fitzroy Gardens

Valued for their historic, aesthetic, architectural, and horticultural significance, the gardens were classified by the National Trust in 1974 and placed on the Victorian Heritage Register in 1999. Originally set aside as a reserve in 1848, the gardens derived their name from Sir Charles Augustus Fitzroy, Governor of New South Wales (1846-1851) and Governor-General of the Australian Colonies (1851-1855).

In the gardens sit Cooks Cottage, presented to the people of Victoria as a gift for the states centenary in 1934. The cottage was transported from the Yorkshire village where Captain James Cook, one of the first Europeans to chart Australia’s coast, was born and it was the home of Cook’s parents. Its furnishings and restoration are appropriate to the time in which they lived in the dwelling.

Another feature of the gardens is the conservatory (1930), housing magnificent indoor floral displays that are changed five times each year. Also in the Fitzroy Gardens is the fairy tree carved by writer Ola Cohn, a model Tudor village, Sinclairs Cottage, as well as an array of statues, fountains and structures.

error: Content is protected !!